Landing of John Guy

HSMBC Plaque Location

Cupids, Newfoundland



Cupids Historical Society Inc.

Date Designated:  1952

Plaque Status: Plaqued in 1955

Reason for Designation

 Landing marked the first chartered settlement in Newfoundland by the Governor of the first English colony in Newfoundland


Other Info

Cupids Historical Society Inc.

United Church Hall

Seaforest Drive

P.O. Box 89

Cupids, NL A0A 2B0

Tel: 709-528-3467




Plaque Text




In 1910, this monument was erected under the auspices of the John Guy Memorial Committee. In 1952 the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada recommended that it be accorded national recognition.  In 1953 it was transferred to the Government of Canada for preservation as a National Historic Site..


Érigé en 1910 sous le patronage du Comité pour la commémoration de John Guy, ce monument a été déclaré lieu historique national en 1952, sur la recommendation de la Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.  En 1953, son entretien a été confié au gouvernement fédéral 

Make a Free Website with Yola.